Saturday, August 22, 2009

A true trail story

I loaded my truck with all my trail camping gear, sleeping bag, tent, lamp, sterno stove; you know, all the stuff you need when you plan to stay for days in the back country above Lone Pine CA.

The road to the trail head was winding and steep, and the truck labored to climb up the hills. I was much relieved when I reached the launching point of my solo expedition.

Getting ready to depart was not easy because there was limited space in my backpack. Finally I managed to get the necessary items in the pack, and strap on the tent and sleeping bag. It was with much expectation that I departed up the steep trail.

The country was densely wooded and I was invigorated by the freshness of the morning mountain air. Finally the woods opened up and I was struck by the serenity of the untouched trees and the pine needle covered ground.

With an altitude of over eleven thousand feet, I was soon sucking a lot of wind, and had to stop every hundred feet or so recover, which allowed me to look around and appreciate the beauty even more. These stops gave me time to snack on typical trail food; granola bars.

Gradually the trail began to descend and then wound around in steep switchbacks. I had to be very careful here because the trail here was very rocky and rough.
I was amazed when the woods opened into a beautiful pristine grassed valley, with a clear winding stream. The trail here was smooth and level and I reveled in the pleasure of the openness of this mountain valley, with fish in the stream and birds flying carefree where they would.

I reached the end of the main part of the valley, and realized that it was starting to be evening here in the mountains, and was getting slightly chilly. After setting up the tent, rolling out the sleeping bag, and setting up the sterno stove, I set about gathering wood for a fire to warm myself.

Sitting in the warm glow of the fire, I prepared a tasty meal of freeze-dried food, which can, by the way, taste this good only in the mountains after such a long hike, and sitting by a fire.

It was with much contentment that I snuggled up in the sleeping bag, and watched the last embers of the fire die away.

When morning came I was awakened by a loud noise, so I stuck my head out of the tent and saw hikers disembarking from an airplane. With amazement I realized that I had camped at the end of a runway, where everyone else would begin their climb.

1 comment: