Sunday, August 23, 2009

wise man ch 1

The wise man

The wallet lay in the street, seemly oblivious to passersby. Ken leaned over and picked it up, not realizing it would change his life forever.

In it found no cash or credit cards, only a driver’s license and a business card. He put the card in his pocket and decided to call the number later.

He went about his tasks for the day and upon reaching his bus stop, realized that the address on the card was only down the block. Well, he would do a good deed for the day and deliver the wallet personally!

Arriving at the building he found the elevator and hoped it worked. It did, and scanning the card again, found the correct office. He knocked and a quiet man’s voice said “Come in.”

Ken entered the office and found that it was full of books, some on the shelf and others open on the desk, behind which sat a small balding man who looked up and greeted him, “Hello, I am Jones, Paul Jones.”

“Well, here’s your wallet,” Ken said, “I thought I would bring it to you personally.” as he set it on the desk.

“Thank you very much; I cancelled the credit cards, but a new license, that would have been an inconvenience. Now what can I do for you?”

“What do you mean, “What can I do for you”? “ I don’t even know what you do. Are you a professor, or a lawyer? You don’t know anything about me, my personal life, my work; anything.

“I am a man who has given himself to study. During that study I have come to understand people. See all these books; they are just pieces of a puzzle. Even if you put them all together they are just a collection of facts and knowledge. But I have found that with humility come wisdom; and an understanding of people. Yes, I can help you, just as I have helped many before you.

“Why did you leave your wife, I see he mark on your finger and the look in your eyes, though you try to hide it. You don’t have a regular job and you hate what you do, you did not even shave this morning. You have experienced a great decrease in income; your suit is very expensive but worn. You are a good man, you even brought a stranger his wallet,” as he chuckled quietly.

“Come back at ten in the morning and I will tell you what you must to do,” as the man leaned back and half closed his eyes.

He left the office confused.

His confusion had not left him when he arrived at his apartment.

He knew that the man had derived much about his circumstances. But what could he do, they would never rehire him again after quitting, though they must have had much confidence in him to give him those large projects, projects that he did not have the experience to handle.

And his wife: He was not sure he had done the right thing, and it was not good for the kids. But he was pretty sure she would never have him back.

When he arrive at Mr. Jones office the next morning, he said, “Okay, you are right, I need help and don’t know what to do.”

“You already know. I am only going to tell you to try. You have the answers. Now you have thought about the things that you regret, or did not have confidence in. You must have confidence in yourself, and many of the people who believe in you; there must be many. You can never quit trying, and always believe in yourself.

By: Welch Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment